How To Clone Your Hard Drive - Page 5 of 10
GETTING NEW HARD DRIVE READY
Note: I purchased the 160GB hard drive in March 2007 at Circuit City for $90. After a $50 rebate, it cost me
If you have a new hard drive to install, you can skip this section and go to “Let’s get the software”.
If the hard drive has had data written to it in the past, then format it. To format it, you must first install it in
your computer as a SLAVE drive, leaving your main hd in place. Then format it. An easy way to format it is just
to use Windows Explorer to point to D: and then right-click on it and choose to format. I formatted my 160 GB
hard drive and it sat there and took about an hour.
If you formatted it, and then created filesystems or logical volumes on it, you need to delete them.
HOW TO DELETE FILESYSTEMS:
1) In Windows, click on Start
2) Right click on ‘My Computer’ and select ‘Manage’
3) The Computer Management window pops up
4) In the left frame, click on ‘Disk Management’
5) In the lower right frame, you will see graphical representations of your devices (hard drives and cd or
dvd rom drives) Locate which one is your new big hard drive.
6) Click on it to select it, then right click on it and choose Delete Filesystem.
7) If you had more than 1 filesystem on that hard drive, delete those as well.
Previous Page Next PageE