Located in Turn 1, these stands are the most sought after.
* There is an upper deck called the Stand E Penthouse. It has a roof.
The bottom (front) row is A and the top row is E. (There are more rows in
the other penthouses. Also, unlike the other penthouse levels, which are
accessed by stairs and elevators outside of the stands, the E Penthouse is
accessed by climbing to the top of the E stands and then taking stairs to the
* Stand E below extends further than the Penthouse level. Section 25-32 do
not have the cover of the upper deck above it and are in the sun.
* The rows in Stand E begins at the bottom with "C" and progresses up to "R"
* Much of Stand E offers an excellent view of the front straight, Turn 1, Short
Chute and part of Turn 2.
* There is a giant screen TV sitting way back inside Turn 1.
* Aluminum bleachers. The seats under the penthouse has back rests.
* New Stadium-style chairs replaced bleachers on the Penthouse level in
The vertical lines you see in the stands are aisles. There are two sections or boxes between aisles, about 20 seats
E Penthouse - Looking Left
E Penthouse - Looking Right
|Originally built in 1914, Stand E was the track's first double-decker section in 1949.
It was renovated in 1999 and again in 2016, when a new roof structure was added which is 17'
taller than the previous one. Stadium seats were added to the penthouse level.
Photo-journals from when I sat in these stands:
INDY 500 Carb Day - 2006 , 2009 ,
INDY 500 - 2003 , 2012 ,
INDY 500 Qualifying - 2003 ,
MotoGP Race - 2015 ,