Some Brickyard 400 Facts
Updated July 12, 2019
• Jeff Gordon has won the Brickyard 400 more times than any other driver. He won the inaugural race
in 1994 at the age of 23 which also makes him the youngest winner as well as the only rookie to ever
win the race. Gordon also won the Brickyard in 1998, 2001, 2004 and 2014. Gordon is the only driver
from any series to have won 5 times on the oval at the Indy Speedway. (Michael Schumacher won five
times on the Indy road course in Formula 1.) Gordon won $1,637,625 in 1998 thanks to a million dollar
bonus from Winston. This was the biggest purse in Brickyard 400 history.
• There were some other NASCAR races in Indiana before the Brickyard 400 at the Indy Speedway.
Races took place at Funk's Speedway in Winchester in 1950 and Playland Park Speedway in South
Bend in 1952.
• Juan Montoya has competed at IMS in IndyCar, NASCAR, Formula One and sports cars.
Jacques Villeneuve has raced in the Brickyard 400, Indy 500 and U.S. Grand Prix at IMS
• Dave Marcis was 58 years old when he drove in the 1999 Brickyard 400 making him the oldest driver
to compete in the race.. He finished 40th. A.J. Foyt was close when he drove in the first Brickyard 400,
two years after his retirement from Indy cars.
• Between 1994-2000, the Brickyard 400 was ran on Saturday.
• Danica Patrick is the only female to have raced in the Brickyard, beginning in 2013.
• Dale Jarrett started the tradition of kissing the "yard of Bricks" in 1996. This tradition spread to
other racing series that race at the Brickyard.
• Kevin Harvick became the first driver to win the 400 from the pole position in 2003.
• In 2006 Jimmie Johnson became the first driver to win the Daytona 500 and the Brickyard 400
in the same year.
• In 2009 Jimmie Johnson became the first driver to win the Brickyard 400 in consecutive years.
• The first year of the Brickyard 400 saw record attendance and became NASCAR's most-attended
event ever - drawing an estimated crowd of more than 250,000 fans.
• Qualifying Record: Kevin Harvick, 188.470 mph on 07-27-2014
• Race Record: Bobby Labonte (Pontiac) 155.912 mph on 08-05-2000
• Largest Purse: $9,358,657 for the Jeff Kyle 400 at the Brickyard on 07-26-2015
• Most Cautions: 14 at the Brantley Gilbert Big Machine Brickyard 400 on 07-23-2017
• Most Caution Laps: 55 at the Brantley Gilbert Big Machine Brickyard 400 on 07-23-2017
• Least Cautions: 1 at the Brickyard 400 on 08-05-1995
• Least Caution Laps: 4 at the Brickyard 400 on 08-05-1995
• Most Lead Changes: 26 at the Allstate 400 At The Brickyard on 07-27-2008
• Least Lead Changes: 4 at the The Combat Wounded Coalition 400 on 07-24-2016
• Most Wins: 5 - Jeff Gordon
• Most Poles: 3 - Jeff Gordon
• Most Top Fives: 12 - Jeff Gordon
• Most Top Tens: 17 - Jeff Gordon